• Home
  • Posts RSS
  • Comments RSS
  • Edit
Blue Orange Green Pink Purple
Welcome. These are letters to my unborn daughter, Lily Grace Smith. She has a rare chromosomal disorder called, Trisomy 18 or Edwards Syndrome, and is not expected to live through infancy. These letters are my attempt to communicate with her all the things a father wants his daughter to know. They represent the conversations and the advise that I want to share with her. Please feel free to read the letters and to comment. In return, I only ask that you make sure your children know how much you love them.

Letter to Lily 1/21/09

Dear Lily,

This is your daddy. I realize that I may never be able to have these conversations with you in person, let alone as an adult, so I wanted to share them with you now. First, always first, know that I love you more than you will ever know. I have not even seen your smile, and you already have the power to take me to my knees. Your mom and I will do everything we can to make sure you have a chance to make it; but don't feel badly if you are not strong enough. We understand. It is not your fault.

I was talking to your sister online tonight about the lessons I have learned in my life. I am trying to help her make it through the transition from child to adult. I realized that I will most likely never have this opportunity with you, so I decided to write you a couple of letters. I hope you will listen with an open heart and mind. Again, know that I love you and that if there were anything I could do to save you, I would. I would gladly give my life for yours. I have wished for this exactly. I can only hope that you will find peace. The only peace I can have is knowing that God will be holding your hand when I cannot.

Love always,

Your Daddy
Read More 2 comments | Posted by Dave Smith edit post

2 comments

  1. Anonymous on January 21, 2009 at 10:39 PM

    i'm surprised to say that your blog made me cry before momma's have. (although, hers have spurred tears, they didn't cause them directly)

     
  2. Anonymous on January 21, 2009 at 10:39 PM

    btw, i like your layout. :)

     


Post a Comment

Newer Post Home

Letters to Lily

Followers

whos.amung.us - visitor maps

Blog Archive

  • ▼  2009 (23)
    • ►  May (1)
    • ►  April (8)
    • ►  March (4)
    • ►  February (6)
    • ▼  January (4)
      • Letter to Lily 1/27/2009
      • Letter to Lily 1/25/2009
      • Letter to Lily 1/23/2009
      • Letter to Lily 1/21/09

My Playlist


Get a playlist! Standalone player Get Ringtones
  • Search






    • Home
    • Posts RSS
    • Comments RSS
    • Edit

    © Copyright Letters to Lily. All rights reserved.
    Designed by FTL Wordpress Themes | Bloggerized by FalconHive.com
    brought to you by Smashing Magazine

    Back to Top