Your mommy told me today that you either want to take part in missions or you want us to. She said you didn't stop kicking the entire time those people were speaking today. Well, I was thinking about you and our future together then too. You see, I'm afraid. I admit it to you now. I may seem big and scary sometimes, but I can get scared too. I know that I and your mommy will love you even more than we already do once you are here. I know that without any doubt in my heart. What scares me is that we will let the little things keep us from getting sad or frustrated. We worry about how we will be able to take care of you, how we will make sure all the bills get paid, and how we will get what we need to stay strong enough to give you what you need. None of these things are for you to worry about. You just worry about getting into our arms, ok? Just know that we are working hard and thinking hard about how to handle any situation you could give us. Know that we will do whatever it takes to make sure you and your brother and sisters have everything you need.
And that is what I was thinking about today during the mission presentation. I saw the little faces of the children who have been basically orphaned by parents who are in prison, and I thought two things -- I will never leave you alone to suffer like those children have and that suffering (in a different way) has made these children happier people. The kind of suffering I am referring to is sacrifice. I think that when you do without something you want (notice I said want), you are better off. So, while I will make sure you have everything you need, and even though you may not like it, I will not give you or your siblings everything you want. It's not because I don't love you -- just the opposite. Because I love you so much, you will learn how to sacrifice and do without. I want you to be as happy as you can be. I imagine your smile every time I close my eyes, and I want to see it as much as possible. I will teach you how to really experience joy. It's not even that hard, though I wonder how many people find joy. The secret is in the simple things. Rely on experiences and people, not possessions. If you do this, you will be happy, I promise. And daddy's never lie.
I love your face,
Daddy




Post a Comment