• Home
  • Posts RSS
  • Comments RSS
  • Edit
Blue Orange Green Pink Purple
Welcome. These are letters to my unborn daughter, Lily Grace Smith. She has a rare chromosomal disorder called, Trisomy 18 or Edwards Syndrome, and is not expected to live through infancy. These letters are my attempt to communicate with her all the things a father wants his daughter to know. They represent the conversations and the advise that I want to share with her. Please feel free to read the letters and to comment. In return, I only ask that you make sure your children know how much you love them.

Letter to Lily 1/27/2009

Dear Lily,

I want you to know that I and your mommy think about you all the time. We don't just think about the complications you may have or the limited time we may have to spend with you. We think about what you are here to teach us. You see, I believe that every experience in life is there to help you learn something. Things don't happen just to teach you a lesson; that's not it. It is just that every experience in our lives has the capability to make us better people. I want you to let those experiences in, no matter how difficult, and try to find the silver lining (that's an expression for making the best of a bad situation). No one wants to suffer (we already talked about that). But it happens. If there is any truth that you can count on, it's that life is not fair. Do not let anyone convince you that it is or will be. All we can do is let our experiences galvanize us -- make us stronger people. If we do, then we suffer less and less because of our experiences. Learn from your mistakes. I will never be angry with you for making a mistake. If you repeat the mistake, though, you will be causing yourself to suffer. Don't do that! There will be enough in life to cause you pain. Don't add to it. One of my favorite people in history is Thomas Edison. He said, "I never failed, I just found 9,999 ways that didn't work." He learned from his mistakes, and he was a genius. So, if you're like every other child I know, don't listen to me. Listen to the genius.

I love you to the moon and back again,

Daddy
Read More 0 comments | Posted by Dave Smith edit post

0 comments



Post a Comment

Newer Post Older Post Home

Letters to Lily

Followers

whos.amung.us - visitor maps

Blog Archive

  • ▼  2009 (23)
    • ►  May (1)
    • ►  April (8)
    • ►  March (4)
    • ►  February (6)
    • ▼  January (4)
      • Letter to Lily 1/27/2009
      • Letter to Lily 1/25/2009
      • Letter to Lily 1/23/2009
      • Letter to Lily 1/21/09

My Playlist


Get a playlist! Standalone player Get Ringtones
  • Search






    • Home
    • Posts RSS
    • Comments RSS
    • Edit

    © Copyright Letters to Lily. All rights reserved.
    Designed by FTL Wordpress Themes | Bloggerized by FalconHive.com
    brought to you by Smashing Magazine

    Back to Top