• Home
  • Posts RSS
  • Comments RSS
  • Edit
Blue Orange Green Pink Purple
Welcome. These are letters to my unborn daughter, Lily Grace Smith. She has a rare chromosomal disorder called, Trisomy 18 or Edwards Syndrome, and is not expected to live through infancy. These letters are my attempt to communicate with her all the things a father wants his daughter to know. They represent the conversations and the advise that I want to share with her. Please feel free to read the letters and to comment. In return, I only ask that you make sure your children know how much you love them.

Letter to Lily 2/5/2009

Dear Lily,

I haven't written you in a while. Your mommy and I took you and Gabriel to see the family in Ohio. I bet you felt the cold, huh? Well, we had fun and you were on our minds, as usual. Your Aunt Wendy has a new baby. She is so precious and little and perfect. It makes me sad sometimes to think that others may think of you as imperfect. Don't listen to them. You are who you are, and that's perfect. God will not make you any way but how you are supposed to be.

I have been reading a book by the coach of daddy's favorite football team. It has already changed how I look at life. Isn't that neat, that you can read something and it changes how you see the world forever. That's why books are so amazing. I want you to love reading (which you will). Anyway, in the book he defines success like this: "Success is the inner satisfaction and peace of mind that comes from knowing I did the best I was capable of doing for the group." That's it, nothing that profound. But I have always defined success by what I have accomplished. The problem with that is you are only successful at the end. Life is about more than the end; it's about the journey. It's in the daily struggles and joys, not the end of your life. So, now with this new concept of success, I can be successful all the time, as long as I always do my best. However, that's not always easy.

So, even though you may be thought of as different or unconventional or imperfect by some, you are and always will be my little flower. You are already successful in making lots of people love you. That's something to be proud of. Keep up the good work.


Love,

Daddy
Read More 0 comments | Posted by Dave Smith edit post

0 comments



Post a Comment

Newer Post Older Post Home

Letters to Lily

Followers

whos.amung.us - visitor maps

Blog Archive

  • ▼  2009 (23)
    • ►  May (1)
    • ►  April (8)
    • ►  March (4)
    • ▼  February (6)
      • Letter to Lily 2/28/09
      • Letter to Lily 2/22/09
      • Letter to Lily 2/17/2009
      • Letter to Lily 2/12/2009
      • Letter to Lily 2/9/2009
      • Letter to Lily 2/5/2009
    • ►  January (4)

My Playlist


Get a playlist! Standalone player Get Ringtones
  • Search






    • Home
    • Posts RSS
    • Comments RSS
    • Edit

    © Copyright Letters to Lily. All rights reserved.
    Designed by FTL Wordpress Themes | Bloggerized by FalconHive.com
    brought to you by Smashing Magazine

    Back to Top