• Home
  • Posts RSS
  • Comments RSS
  • Edit
Blue Orange Green Pink Purple
Welcome. These are letters to my unborn daughter, Lily Grace Smith. She has a rare chromosomal disorder called, Trisomy 18 or Edwards Syndrome, and is not expected to live through infancy. These letters are my attempt to communicate with her all the things a father wants his daughter to know. They represent the conversations and the advise that I want to share with her. Please feel free to read the letters and to comment. In return, I only ask that you make sure your children know how much you love them.

Letter to Lily 2/12/2009

Dear Lily,

How have you been? I still feel you kicking almost every night, but when I try to feel you with my hand, I can't seem to find you. I got to take a "sneak peek" at you yesterday at the doctor's office. Everyone is taking such a keen interest in you. I guess that's a good thing, huh? You look like your older brother in the ultrasound photos. I try to imagine you chasing him around, swinging on a swing set, or spinning around in the grass until you fall down. Then I get sad, because I know that I will not get to see these things. There are lots of things that I will not get to experience with you. I just hope that we will get to play and dance and sing when I get to meet you in heaven. In a discussion recently I heard someone say (maybe it was your mommy) that by letting you go, we are putting you in good hands -- safe hands. There will be no pain or tubes attached to your body or drugs to keep you calm. I imagine walking hand in hand with you through a park in heaven. You have long, think curly blond hair and you are wearing a larger version of the outfit your sister bought you. We are laughing and joking. It is a beautiful day. That feels nice. I hope I have to wait a while to have this experience with you. There is a lot I still want to do here. But know that I look forward to the day when we can walk and talk. If you beat me to heaven, start picking out a spot for our walks, ok?

I love you like the ocean loves the moon.

Daddy
Read More 0 comments | Posted by Dave Smith edit post

0 comments



Post a Comment

Newer Post Older Post Home

Letters to Lily

Followers

whos.amung.us - visitor maps

Blog Archive

  • ▼  2009 (23)
    • ►  May (1)
    • ►  April (8)
    • ►  March (4)
    • ▼  February (6)
      • Letter to Lily 2/28/09
      • Letter to Lily 2/22/09
      • Letter to Lily 2/17/2009
      • Letter to Lily 2/12/2009
      • Letter to Lily 2/9/2009
      • Letter to Lily 2/5/2009
    • ►  January (4)

My Playlist


Get a playlist! Standalone player Get Ringtones
  • Search






    • Home
    • Posts RSS
    • Comments RSS
    • Edit

    © Copyright Letters to Lily. All rights reserved.
    Designed by FTL Wordpress Themes | Bloggerized by FalconHive.com
    brought to you by Smashing Magazine

    Back to Top