• Home
  • Posts RSS
  • Comments RSS
  • Edit
Blue Orange Green Pink Purple
Welcome. These are letters to my unborn daughter, Lily Grace Smith. She has a rare chromosomal disorder called, Trisomy 18 or Edwards Syndrome, and is not expected to live through infancy. These letters are my attempt to communicate with her all the things a father wants his daughter to know. They represent the conversations and the advise that I want to share with her. Please feel free to read the letters and to comment. In return, I only ask that you make sure your children know how much you love them.

Letter to Lily 2/22/09

Dear Lily,

I don't think I have ever thanked you for all that you have give to me and everyone else who loves you. I'm sure you are not finished offering gifts to us, but I wanted to take a minute tonight and let you know that I think you're pretty great. Before you came into our lives, we were all a little bit more selfish, a little bit more unforgiving, a little more cold-hearted. We are all good people; you'll learn that in due time. But you have made us better. You have given one of your sisters a purpose, you have given your mommy a sense of empathy greater than she thought possible. You have given your older brother a pillow for now(that's just a joke). As for me, you have broken me. I am officially a pile of mush, sitting on the floor. I am waiting to be put back together, stronger and better than before. I have you to thank. Though I suffer each day with the uncertainty of your life, I have to realize that all life it fragile. I have to be willing to accept that time marches for each of us, and that no one knows his time. That is why we always have to be willing to pick ourselves back up. Though I suffer now, I know that this fire your mommy, our family, and I are going through is for a special purpose. I haven't been able to figure out why God has chosen to make your life so delicate. All I can say is that we have to take our cards and play them -- whatever they are.

So, thank you for being here still, when the odds said you wouldn't. Thank you for coming into our lives and strengthening us. Thank you for being a fighter. If only I had your strenght.

I love you every second of every day,

Daddy
Read More 0 comments | Posted by Dave Smith edit post

0 comments



Post a Comment

Newer Post Older Post Home

Letters to Lily

Followers

whos.amung.us - visitor maps

Blog Archive

  • ▼  2009 (23)
    • ►  May (1)
    • ►  April (8)
    • ►  March (4)
    • ▼  February (6)
      • Letter to Lily 2/28/09
      • Letter to Lily 2/22/09
      • Letter to Lily 2/17/2009
      • Letter to Lily 2/12/2009
      • Letter to Lily 2/9/2009
      • Letter to Lily 2/5/2009
    • ►  January (4)

My Playlist


Get a playlist! Standalone player Get Ringtones
  • Search






    • Home
    • Posts RSS
    • Comments RSS
    • Edit

    © Copyright Letters to Lily. All rights reserved.
    Designed by FTL Wordpress Themes | Bloggerized by FalconHive.com
    brought to you by Smashing Magazine

    Back to Top