• Home
  • Posts RSS
  • Comments RSS
  • Edit
Blue Orange Green Pink Purple
Welcome. These are letters to my unborn daughter, Lily Grace Smith. She has a rare chromosomal disorder called, Trisomy 18 or Edwards Syndrome, and is not expected to live through infancy. These letters are my attempt to communicate with her all the things a father wants his daughter to know. They represent the conversations and the advise that I want to share with her. Please feel free to read the letters and to comment. In return, I only ask that you make sure your children know how much you love them.

Letter to Lily 4/17/09

Dear Lily,

It was strange writing the date at the top of this letter. I know time must not mean anything to you yet, but to people walking the earth, it means everything. There are so many sayings involving time -- "Time is money," "Time flies," "Don't count every hour in the day, make every hour in the day count," and "Today is the tomorrow you worried about yesterday."

It's so crazy to think that today is the day the doctors projected to be your birthday (although I go with the 21st). I look at the date on the calendar, and I imagine all the birthday parties we could share. In reality it is just a day. It's an excuse to celebrate, though we should celebrate each moment, really. There are some families with a baby who has trisomy 18 that celebrate shorter intervals, like weeks, months, or even days. I don't know how I will feel if you are able to stay with us for a while. Will I want to celebrate each small interval? Will I be too busy trying to suck out all the moments I can with you to light a candle?

It is in these moments of thought that I laugh at the relativity of time. In the grand scheme of things, especially if you believe in the afterlife, our short lives are just a blip on the screen. In science, with numbers thrown around like trillions of years, your and my life are really insignificant. One minute isn't that much shorter than a hundred years. No one will record this day in the annals of history as the day one little girl was supposed to be born. But all that doesn't matter in the slightest to me. This day (or whatever becomes your official birthday) IS important. Each second I get to spend with you in my arms IS important. The eternity that I look forward to spending with you IS important. No matter what relativity of time you put to these next few days, they are important, and they will remain with me for as long as I have thoughts and memories. You are my little girl, and time is no object.

Love,

Daddy-
Read More 0 comments | Posted by Dave Smith edit post

0 comments



Post a Comment

Newer Post Older Post Home

Letters to Lily

Followers

whos.amung.us - visitor maps

Blog Archive

  • ▼  2009 (23)
    • ►  May (1)
    • ▼  April (8)
      • Letter to Lily 4/28/09
      • Letter to Lily 4/27/09
      • Letter to Lily 4/25/09
      • Letter to Lily 4/21/09
      • Letter to Lily 4/17/09
      • Letter to Lily 4/15/09
      • Letter to Lily 4/13/09
      • Letter to Lily 4/2/09
    • ►  March (4)
    • ►  February (6)
    • ►  January (4)

My Playlist


Get a playlist! Standalone player Get Ringtones
  • Search






    • Home
    • Posts RSS
    • Comments RSS
    • Edit

    © Copyright Letters to Lily. All rights reserved.
    Designed by FTL Wordpress Themes | Bloggerized by FalconHive.com
    brought to you by Smashing Magazine

    Back to Top