• Home
  • Posts RSS
  • Comments RSS
  • Edit
Blue Orange Green Pink Purple
Welcome. These are letters to my unborn daughter, Lily Grace Smith. She has a rare chromosomal disorder called, Trisomy 18 or Edwards Syndrome, and is not expected to live through infancy. These letters are my attempt to communicate with her all the things a father wants his daughter to know. They represent the conversations and the advise that I want to share with her. Please feel free to read the letters and to comment. In return, I only ask that you make sure your children know how much you love them.

Letter to Lily 4/27/09

Dear Lily,

It has been a difficult day for your mom and me. I'm sure you felt it. Because we love you and want to give you the best chance of finding your way into this world, we are going to use medicine to help nudge you along. I'm not sure what that will mean for you. The decision was difficult because we wanted you to control when you came to us. Well, little angel, you are going to have some persuasion in a few days. We can only pray that it is really in your best interest (if we thought otherwise, we would not have made the decision).

That decision was not the only difficulty today for me. You see, about a week ago I watched a great movie, called Instinct. I had seen it before, but I had forgotten the meat of it. Basically, it is about a man who lives among the apes for two years. He becomes part of their family -- he was cared for, trusted, welcomed. Then, because of some artifacts he had left behind, some local men were searching for him and began shooting and killing the apes who had taken him in. He did what I would hope any family member would do and defended them. The problem is when that mentality translates to society. He was arrested and put in prison -- for defending his family. He called our society "takers." Instead of living in harmony with nature, we try to dominate it -- to own things and take things.

That concept has stuck with me since, and I have thought about how I too am a taker. Just today, I was working on our front porch with my dad. There was a robin's nest at the top of one of the columns we were removing. My dad pulled it down and handed it to me. It had eggs inside. Well, a bee was in the nest and it frightened me. I bobbled the nest and a couple of the eggs fell out. Now, our society says, "At least they were just eggs." Well, to draw a parallel, you are still just an egg. You are still expendable. I couldn't help feeling as if I had just taken something really special away from that mama and papa bird. I had taken you from me, all because I was in a hurry to get a front porch built. Today I was a taker. I hope that those days become more and more rare.

I wish you were here for me to hug. That would be so nice. Come as soon as you can. I understand the science behind why you aren't here; but I can't help wondering why you aren't. I guess that is not for me to know. I know. I know. Does a chrysalis have a timer on it? But there is a limit to the safety your mommy's belly can provide. Come on out now. I'll defend you like the man did those gorillas. Fierce loyalty is a trait I admire, even if society doesn't.

I love you so much. I can't wait to show you.

Daddy
Read More 0 comments | Posted by Dave Smith edit post

0 comments



Post a Comment

Newer Post Older Post Home

Letters to Lily

Followers

whos.amung.us - visitor maps

Blog Archive

  • ▼  2009 (23)
    • ►  May (1)
    • ▼  April (8)
      • Letter to Lily 4/28/09
      • Letter to Lily 4/27/09
      • Letter to Lily 4/25/09
      • Letter to Lily 4/21/09
      • Letter to Lily 4/17/09
      • Letter to Lily 4/15/09
      • Letter to Lily 4/13/09
      • Letter to Lily 4/2/09
    • ►  March (4)
    • ►  February (6)
    • ►  January (4)

My Playlist


Get a playlist! Standalone player Get Ringtones
  • Search






    • Home
    • Posts RSS
    • Comments RSS
    • Edit

    © Copyright Letters to Lily. All rights reserved.
    Designed by FTL Wordpress Themes | Bloggerized by FalconHive.com
    brought to you by Smashing Magazine

    Back to Top